Wednesday, July 19, 2017

The Goddess of Pain

The door opened, streaming light into the darkness. No sound was heard but the ambient hum of silence. The room smelled like blood.

In the edge of the light, I spotted what appeared to be iron bars. I opened the door a bit further and saw a tall iron cage, with a top that came to a lavishly embellished point. Masks of many expressions hung from nails all around the cage.


Inside the cage was a pale young woman, her thin black hair draped over her shoulders and flowing down to the floor. She wore a tattered dress of pale blue, and she sat upon an old wooden box with a worn out word I couldn't quite make out.

I was greeted by a smiling, pleasant mask as she turned to face me. Her hair was flat against her head, framing her delicate face. She placed one bony hand over the mask and started to slide it downwards.

I caught a glimpse of piercing golden eyes, which seemed to burn like the sun's fire.

Her face was revealed as she removed the mask, and my heart stopped. Her mouth was wired shut, bloody and crusted over as if she hadn't opened it in years.

I sensed fear in her, but her strength was even louder. The room rumbled as she attempted to smile, her eyes shining with confidence.

Curiosity overriding my caution, I slowly approached to get a better look at the word written on the box.

"Resolve"

No comments:

Post a Comment