Wednesday, February 27, 2019

I'm Still Writing

Listen here: 


The creative process can be a fickle thing. But I'm still writing. I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.

The plot formation and world building is taking time. I need to ensure that Vael has a solid foundation before I write even a word of the book.

I don't write as often as I should, but I'm trying to put it into my routine more often. It's daunting sometimes looking at the scale of Vael, how much material I have to smooth out, and remembering that I have to keep all my info consistent. When one thing changes, I have to go into all my documents to make sure everything lines up.

For instance, one of my characters was named "Shadow," but I recently changed his name to "Fade" since I had too many names starting with "Sh" and the word "Shadow" was already used by the "Shadow Mark," which is a major part of the story.

Simply changing his name to "Fade" meant that as I continue my writing, every instance of "Shadow" in my documents needs to be changed to "Fade" so I don't get names mixed up.

The world of Vael, to me, is grand and beautiful. It might take an omnipresent god seven days to create a world, but I'm merely a writer... for me it could take one, ten, maybe even fifty years.

I'm writing this thing even if it takes a lifetime. Though, I hope the time-frame is much shorter. Maybe a year. I want at least two books planned out if possible, so it could be longer. I'm not sure.

If you enjoy fantastical worlds saturated in magic, colorful culture and quirky characters, you might like Vael. Check out this great description of the world written by my friend and fellow writer Harrison:

"The continent of Vael is a beautiful realm at its soul, but due to a tragic earthquake the land finds itself plagued with darkness to the south where the north is far brighter. The world itself is filled with magic and its effects. The people of the realm are a mystical folk, with numerous races populating its borders. The northern kingdom of Avael is ruled by King Utakaru who is descended from the first Moonish king of Avael.  The race of Moonish are a people who draw their racial roots from a life on the moon. They are a fair folk, with highly intuitive and sensitive personalities.  Historically, the Moonish have been mistreated by the other dwellers of Vael."


No comments:

Post a Comment